03/04/2014

MACCHI NU SAAS or LAGAN NU SAAS ( Fish Sauce)







My grandmother made this saas so well. I still remember the smells and sounds in the kitchen as she cooked this dish. It was my favorite and anytime she would ask me what I'd like to eat, the answer was obvious.
Each time I make this recipe I think of her.
How I miss my Grannu!

Ingredients
1 pound pomfret or any firm white flesh fish. (I have made this sauce with salmon too and I liked the taste. But it tastes best with tilapia or flounder.)
2 medium onions finely sliced
5 tbs fresh chopped coriander
6 green chilies chopped
1/2 tbs full jeera seeds
8 cloves garlic.
2 tbs rice flour
Salt to taste
3 cups water
10 cherry tomatoes or cut the flesh of a tomato, remove seeds in small pieces.
Beat together with hand blender.
4 tbs vinegar
3 tbs Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 tbs sugar
2 eggs
Ghee or oil to fry onions.





Method

Heat ghee. Fry onions till translucent, soft and yellow. Not brown.
With a mortar and pestle grind the garlic, chilies and jeera.
Add this paste to the onion and fry for about 7-8 minutes.
Mix the rice flour in a little water and add to onion paste.
Blend or mix this very well.
Add water slowly and mix well.
Bring to boil and then simmer for at least 15 minutes.
Add the tomatoes ( poke a hole in them before adding in sauce)
Simmer for 5 minutes and then taste for salt and seasoning.
(If you like it more spicy, add more green chili and jeera paste. No garlic.)
Now add fish.
Simmer till fish is 80% done,
Turn off stove and let saas cool till almost room temperature.
Now slowly pour in the egg mixture.
Be careful not to break the fish pieces.
Tilt the pot so that the mixture spreads all over the fish and sauce.
Now turn on stove on low and heat.
Taste and add more sugar or Wooster or vinegar according to taste.
( no eggs)

Serve immediately with khichri or Rotli.