23/04/2014

KHARI MARGI NA RUS CHAWAL ( TASTY, MILDLY SPICED CHICKEN IN GRAVY AND RICE)











True comfort food! So fast and easy to make, and still so tasty.
My Granu made this for me whenever I felt a little under the weather. I can still close my eyes and remember the yummy smells as she cooked it for me. And the amazing thing is that it was ready in half an hour, start to finish!
I just put my skills to the test when my masi and masa ( aunt and uncle) dropped by for a surprise visit. Lunch was ready from scratch in half and hour and they loved it!
Please try it out. Whenever you are in a hurry or just want a simple yet tasty dish to eat. The flavors are so tasty and subtle that even my kids ate it for dinner.

INGREDIENTS

4-5 chicken drumsticks or boneless chicken thigh meat cut in cubes
3 TBS ginger garlic paste
3 TBS maida ( all purpose flour)
3 TBS ghee ( clarified butter)
1/2 TBS knorr chicken powder or 1 chicken cube
1 1/2 sticks cinnamon 
5-6 pods of cardamom
5-6 cloves
2 bay leaves
5-6 whole peppercorns
1 1/2 big onions chopped fine
2 cups water

METHOD

Marinate the chicken with the ginger garlic paste and maida.
Heat the ghee and fry the onions till golden brown.
Add the whole spices and fry for 5 minutes more or till fragrance releases.
Now add the marinated chicken in and fry till chicken outsides brown a little.
Add water.
Add chicken powder or cube.
Stir well.
Transfer in a pressure cooker and cook for 2 10-12 minutes.
Or if you don't have a pressure cooker, just continue to simmer on medium to low heat, storing occasionally till chicken is cooked  ( about twenty minutes)

If the gravy is too watery, mix some all purpose flour in cold water, make a paste and add in gravy. Heat, stirring occasionally )

Serve with steamed rice and papads.


3 comments:

Burgess said...

Making this dish tonight! Thanks!

Burgess said...

Making this dish tonight! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this perfect recipe.
Exactly how my granny used to make it.
Made a vegetarian version with potatoes and drumsticks.